It’s been a few months since I last updated, and somehow, we’re still on the same apocalypse.
If there is one upside to this DMV-paced shuffle into unwinding socio-political madness, though, it’s that there’s never been a better time to escape reality, and I’ve actually been writing with great, renewed urgency.
My husband and I also completed major home renovations, ending with the restoration of my office. With a writing space this awesome, I can’t help but be productive!
That brings us to…
In the last post, I talked about using a timelining tool to help me untangle the plot. I was able to get my bearings again that way, but eventually, I just couldn’t resist the urge to plunge back into the writing itself. Planning is dry work; the writing is where the excitement truly unfolds.
Thus far said excitement has ushered me through five chapters.
Part I is complete! Again!
Instead of doing excerpts, I think it’ll be more fun to give you out-of-context details.
A list of things you’ll find in Nightlands Part I:
Ya’ll Motherfuckers Need Therapy Everybody Hates Senora Senora and the Quest for an Uninterrupted Nap
(You know, maybe it doesn’t really need a title?)
- Fight clubs (the first rule of which is actually “don’t get your ass kicked”)
- Murder mysteries
- Post-apocalyptic mafias & death cults
- A horse! Maybe. I’m not sure if I’m keeping that part yet.
- Assassination attempts
- So. Much. Family drama.
- Knife fights, shoot-outs, & car chases (because of course)
- Copious amounts of blood loss (also because of course)
- A boat
- The mistakes of the past catching up in harrowing ways (you thought this was all jokes & badassery, didn’t you?)
That’s all I’ve got for this update. I hope to have more to report soon. In the meantime, I hope everyone stays safe and relatively sane. Pour a drink, crack a good book, scream into the void.
Y’know, whatever helps.
Except fist-fighting stranger. That doesn’t help outside of fiction.